Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Our Love Story

Lately, I have been noticing a growing trend in the blogs I follow. Many of them have a page that tells their love story.  I always love reading other people's stories, so I decided to post our love story on my blog!
Enjoy!

The story starts with a conversation between me and my good friend Grace. We had been friends since the first semester of our freshman year of college. She and her husband Tim had been really good friends to me and had always been around through good times and bad. I mentioned to her that I really wanted to go to Alpha's (a club at OC) banquet to a medevial fair, because a lot of my friends were going and I thought it would be fun. She pretty much went on a mission to find me a date. She worked with Garrett in the IT department and decided that he was the guy!  She bugged him for WEEKS ... but he kept saying that he wasn't interested in dating, or going to banquet, or anything. So, I didn't get to go to that banquet. It was ok though, because Grace didn't give up. In May of 2009, she told me that Garrett had to go on a blind date with me. I knew who Garrett was because I was always getting my computer fixed and had done a lot of activities with his club, but we hadn't even spoken to each other, and he had no clue who I was.  We went on a double date with Tim and Grace on Memorial Day to see Terminator Salvation and then went to dinner at Cracker Barrel. I thought he was nice, but he and Tim talked about video games basically the entire time, so I didn't get much information out of him except his name and his major.

Later that summer, I posted on Facebook something about never having seen the Star Wars movies. He responded to my post asking if he could lend me his copies of the movies.  We planned a time for him to come over and drop them off. I told my roommate Josh about it, and he insisted that I HAD to invite Garrett to stay and watch the first one with me. I remember feeling really nervous, which I thought was weird because at that point we had only met once and I didn't know enough about him to really have any feelings for him yet. He stayed and watched the first one with me, and I honestly think that we talked most of the time because I don't really remember the movie.  We hung out in a group setting one other time that summer. School started and a bunch of us had made plans to go see a movie called District 9. At that point, I had a crush on Garrett which is pretty much the only reason I agreed to go. The day we went to the movie all our friends bailed and it ended up just being the 2 of us. (Turns out that was the plan all along.) After going to see the movie and talking for awhile afterward I knew I definitely liked him. After that, we started hanging out almost every night. He had a bunch of tv shows that I had never heard of, so we would meet in the library every night and watch a couple episodes, and then he would walk me back to my apartment. Every night my roommates would say, "Did he ask you yet?!"
FINALLY  after an ETERNITY - ok maybe a month and a half - we went to a movie and dinner on a Saturday evening. After we got back, we went on a long walk around campus, and he finally asked me to be his girlfriend. When I got back to my apartment my roommate Meredeth screamed ... which was followed by a text from Garrett asking if she knew that he could hear her from outside. That was October 25th, 2009.

That Christmas, I got snowed into Oklahoma, and spent Christmas Eve night at his house. I had a blast with his family and I thought it would be fun to get to spend lots of future Christmases with them. (Later I found out that Garrett knew he wanted to marry me when he woke up to me at his house Christmas morning....awww....)

After Christmas, we really started talking about getting married. On April 4th, we decided to tell his parents that we were going to be getting engaged soon.  We ended up not telling them on that day, because his brother called during lunch to tell his parents that he was engaged!  It was very exciting!!  We ended up telling them a couple days later. We got engaged on April 24th at a lake on OC's property. It was perfect!!

We got married August 20, 2010. So, if you are doing the math - we got married 10 months after we started dating. It was CRAZY - but we were in love and couldn't wait to be together. Our wedding was perfect, our honeymoon in Chicago was perfect, and he has made everyday since then perfect! I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment